For the past 2 weeks, Lucas' appetite has been almost non existent since becoming sick.
The foods he used to like and eat such as oatmeal, rice, soup with chicken and rice, egg, have been met with a shake of a head and a closed mouth. If I am so lucky to get a spoon of it into his mouth, he will wipe it off his tongue and spit it out. SOOO frustrating!! Pickiness in appetite is normal toddler behavior. I wouldn't worry except that Lucas is a skinny boy. So when he does not eat or eats far less than normal, it worries me.
The only items he eats and likes the past week (at home) are the following: yogurt for breakfast and some bananas, pureed butter bean soup (home made), avocado for lunch; macaroni and cheese (home made) for dinner. This has been the menu all last week, everyday, as they are the only items he will eat without a fight.
Today, I made chicken vegetable soup with barley (from scratch!). He likes soup so I was banking that he would eat it for dinner. I can't give him mac and cheese again?! The soup contained diced chicken, carrots, zucchini, celery, mushroom and barley. I cut the vegetables and chicken into tinier pieces for Lucas.
Thankfully, he liked it, very much and even opened his mouth faster than I could feed him. Yay!! No power struggle at the dining table today. :)
Let's hope that his appetite and palate returns.

No comments:
Post a Comment